Sunday, March 22, 2009

White Lies

A lie is a lie no matter what color you want to paint it. No such thing as a small lie or a big lie either, as the end result is the same: deception. A white lie should never be accepted and authors should always make it clear to potential readers whether they are telling their truth or not.

In terms of "crazy bride" I do not see that video as being a lie. It was posted on youtube which is not necessarily credible. While some things on youtube are beneficial and credible, the viewer must know that information provided in this forum will not always be real. I did not feel decieved when watching and was more or less entertained. I also do not believe that the creators of this video needed to explain whether or not they were telling the truth because of where it was posted. If it was submitted to a news station then I would have expected a disclaimer of some sort.

Mr Frey is another situation all together. His lie was amazing, for lack of a better word. He told the lie as though he himself really believed it. I watched the Oprah Show when he was on to talk about his book. He never once mentioned embellishment nor did he say that the story was untrue. I remember being so captivated by this man's story, on the edge of my seat wondering what Oprah was going to ask next.

I felt robbed of the experience when it was revealed that his story was a lie and was right there with Oprah when she told her audience what a deciver Frey had been. I shared her anger...but only to an extent.

I was once again captivated by Frey wondering, how someone could invest so much time in the 'art' of lying. He would have gained so much respect for his writing if he just told the truth. He should have just said, "it is a made up story and I wanted to be tha main character". People went out and spent their hard earned dollars on a lie. This is unacceptable. His lie certainly was not white...more of a very bright orange.

1 comment:

  1. I certainly agree with what you wrote about James frey, and the anger you shared when you found out his novel was a lie. I was halfway through reading the book a few years back and was taken away by this mans crazy life which he was writing about, until I found out it was a "fake" story. I was angry and did not even finish the whole book. Although his made up story angered many. James Frey got what he had wanted in the end, to be a famous writer.

    ReplyDelete